Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Hunting and Fishing Licenses


One of the newest options for hunting in New York State is the Crossbow Hunting Qualification. If you have your hunting license, we have the information you need to take your training course online and complete your certification that you are qualified to hunt safely with a crossbow. Visit our Crossbow Hunting Qualification page, watch a short 4-minute video on the safe use of crossbows and get started today. There is no additional cost for the crossbow certification.


Kenco Outfitters is an issuing agent for Annual Hunting Licenses, additional Annual Hunting Privileges, Permit and Stamps and General Fishing Licenses at our Kingston, NY store. To facilitate the purchase of a sporting license, individuals should have the following items ready when buying a license: complete name and address information, DEC customer ID number if you have it, proof of residency information (driver's license number or non-driver's ID number with a valid NYS address to qualify for a resident license). Hunting license purchases require individuals to provide proof of a hunting education certification or a copy of a previous license, if this information is not already contained in their sporting license system file.


You need a hunting license if you are:

  • 12 years and older and using a firearm or bow to hunt or take wild game. Persons under age 12 cannot hunt.
  • Junior Hunters (12-15): review regulations and information for junior hunters, ages 12-15.
  • Additional Privileges/Permits: depending on the season and species you are hunting you may need additional privileges or permits. These are listed in the table above.


You need a fishing license if you are 16 years and older and fishing for:

  • Freshwater fish species by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow, and tip-ups.
  • Frog species by spearing, catching with the hands or by use of a club or hook.
  • Freshwater baitfish for personal use.


Annual Hunting License - Fee Schedule
With this license you can hunt big game and small game.
***This license is required before other privileges (i.e. bowhunting, muzzleloading & turkey permit) can be purchased.***

Resident Fee Nonresident Fee
$22 (ages 16-69)
$5 (ages 70+)
$5 (ages 12-15)
$100 (ages 16+)
$5 (ages 12-15)

(Note: It is no longer necessary to purchase a separate bear tag when buying a hunting license.
Small game and big game hunting is now included in the annual hunting license for both
residents and nonresidents. These changes went into effect on February 1, 2014.
For more information, see 2014 Sporting Licenses Changes)


Additional Annual Hunting Privileges/Permit/Stamps - Fee Schedule
An annual hunting license (above) must be purchased before purchasing the following privileges/stamps.

Type Resident Fee Nonresident Fee Needed For
Bowhunting Privilege $15 (ages 16-69)
No fee (ages 70+)
$4 (ages 12-15)
$30 (ages 16+)
$4 (ages 12-15)
Muzzleloading Privilege $15 (ages 14-69)
No fee (ages 70+)
$30 (ages 14+)
Turkey Permit $10 (ages 12+) $20 (ages 12+)
Harvest Information Program No fee (ages 12+) No fee
(must register in New
York even if registered
in another state
Federal Duck Stamp $25 (ages 16+)
Deer Management Permit $10 (ages 16+)
No fee (ages 12-15)
No fee (holders of lifetime sportsman
licenses purchased prior to
October 1, 2009)
Harvesting antlerless
deer (antlers less than 3" long)
in select Wildlife Management Units.
Permits for Hunter's with Disability No fee Using specialized equipment
to aid in discharging a
bow, or to discharge a
firearm from a motorized vehicle.

Valid Dates of Annual Licenses/Privileges
Annual hunting licenses and privileges are valid from September 1 through August 31 each year.
The Harvest Information Program and Federal Duck Stamp is valid July 1 through June 30 annually.


General Fishing License - Fee Schedule

Type Resident Fee Nonresident Fee
valid one full year (365 days)
from the date of purchase
$25 (ages 16-69) $50
$5 (ages 70+)
7-day $12 $28
1-day $5 $10



Proof of Residency

You will need one of the following documents as proof of residency when purchasing your license:


  • NYS driver license from DMV showing a valid NYS address
  • NYS non-driver identification from DMV showing a valid NYS address
  • Current NYS vehicle registration showing a valid NYS address
  • IT-201 OR W-2 income tax form from the previous year
  • Current voter registration card
  • Current student ID card from a New York State College or University
  • Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) OR military orders
  • Current pay stub OR note on letterhead from a current employer. Either must verify your legal NYS address.


1000 Hurley mountain road kingston, NY 12401 (845) 340-NoSkype0552
my Cart - 0 ITEMS - $0.00
log in my wishlist my account